Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 37 of 37

Thread: A little more Zing up Top ?

  1. #31
    Senior Hostboard Member ngccglp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 20th, 2005
    Posts
    148
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Just an update on my project, had a hard time trying to get my 3 way to sound right. I just realised the N7000 XO is an 8 ohm design and when I connect it to my 288-16G, I think the crossover freq is much higher than 500 Hz. But when I insert the Altec transformer to match the impedance of the N7000 and 288-16G, everything fell into place.

    Does anybody have any experience with the JBL N7000 XO? Does the impedance of the mid drivers matters? I did a search on old JBL catalogs and realize JBL sometimes recommends them with either 8 or 16 ohms drivers.

    web page

  2. #32
    Senior Hostboard Member
    A little more Zing up Top ?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    What happens when a speaker is not matched to the crossover is a bit complex. The usual result is a frequency response graph that looks like a roller coaster.

    An upward mismatch (16 ohm speaker on 8 ohm crossover) is generally more tolerable.


    I don't like to use passives at all. At best, they have issues, at worst thay are terrible.

    A cheap active is often as good as expensive passives.

    There is the extra amp cost to deal with, but amp costs are coming down constantly.

    There are always T-amps.

  3. #33
    Senior Hostboard Member drummerwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    138
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Guys
    Well I have a solution that I've been pretty satified with for the last few weeks.
    Old Guy your EQ advice is what has been the best solution for me.
    I have an old Ross active EQ I used to used with my electronic drum setup. I inserted the Ross between my DIY 26 preamp and one of my DIY tube amps.
    The settings I used on the 15 band stereo EQ is most of the mid's flat and the lows and highs kicked up.
    I did try adding a Coral tweeter with a cap to help the 299's. But after I put in the Ross EQ was it more effective at providing what I wanted to hear.
    Thanks all for your inputs.
    Have fun!
    Willie

  4. #34
    Senior Hostboard Member ngccglp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 20th, 2005
    Posts
    148
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'll try to hunt a active EQ down to experiment. Although I have the 802/511 as tweeter, it is still rolled off beyond 15k.

  5. #35
    Senior Hostboard Member ngccglp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 20th, 2005
    Posts
    148
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Drummerwill,

    Do you have the N500F XO that Altec recommends with 288-16G in their VOTT catalogs? I finally decided to use my N500F on the 288-16G/1005 (I didn't use them earlier because I already have the N501-8A mounted on the 828 and I'm also using the 416-8A). To cut the story short, its a perfect match, I think there's a EQ built-in. I tried to peep inside but its all covered with black cement or something. If you can get hold of one try it.

  6. #36
    Senior Hostboard Member drummerwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    138
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey ny*****
    I use a DIY N501-8A clone for my 515-8G's in 828's with 299's on 803B's. The EQ is between the preamp and poweramp.
    The EQ gave me what i needed.
    Thanks for the input, hope you can get to where I am.
    Willie

  7. #37
    Senior Hostboard Member ngccglp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 20th, 2005
    Posts
    148
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi, just an update,

    I finally took the plunge and went active with my A5. I'm using the MAC 2500 for 288/1005 and the Krell 300i(using throughput connection) for the 416/828.

    First Impression, What a difference! Everything becomes clearer, tighter, better articulation. Best yet, the mid forwardness is gone! And I have not even add my fostex bullet tweeter yet. I played around the XO freq and seems to prefer about 800 Hz in my listening environment.

    Will report back.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.